As we’re on a constant run, taking care of our tangled and messy hair isn’t something we have time to deal with. Anything that gives us fast results and doesn’t imply too much of our time is more than welcome so scroll down for the details.
What is a hair serum after all?
Hair serum is a silicone-based product that only coats the surface of your hair. It’s not the same thing as hair oil, which goes deep into your hair’s cuticles, leading to changes to the hair’s structure.
Preventing the hair from getting tangled, hair serum is also able to give a healthy glow and softness to your hair. It’s also effective when it comes to protecting your hair from sun and various outer stressors (grime or dust are just some of them).
The market sure gives us plenty of options to choose from and there are some things when selecting as you don’t want to end up with the wrong product for your hair. Once you got yourself the right one for your hair, there’s only one thing left for you to do: getting the best out of it.
Some tips to go
When it comes to the health and well-being of your hair, try not to get cheap and pay the extra-buck for a good brand. A good hair serum is an investment in the long run and you are worth it.
You shouldn’t rub the serum in your scalp as a gentle comb is going to be enough. Pay attention to your hair and go with another brand if your hair gets dry.
Less is more and this rules applies to hair serums also. Try combining with your other hair products until you get just the right combo for better looking hair.
Last, but not least, always apply the hair serum on your cleansed hair. Last thing you want is dandruff or greasy hair, right?
- 1 The Top 10 Serums for Various Types of Hair
- 1.1 Best Hair Growth Serum
- 1.2 Best Hair Shine Serum
- 1.3 Best Hair Serum for Dry Hair
- 1.4 Best Serum for Frizzy Hair
- 1.5 Best Serum for Hair Straightening
- 1.6 Best Hair Smoothing Serum
- 1.7 Best Hair Serum for Damaged Hair
- 1.8 Best Hair Serum for Fine Hair
- 1.9 Best Serum for Curly Hair
- 1.10 Best Ingrown Hair Serum
The Top 10 Serums for Various Types of Hair
Best Hair Growth Serum
1. Gone are the days when you had to search high and low for a miracle-worker that turns your hair into thicker, longer and healthier one even faster than expected. The Ultrax Labs Hair Plush | Lush Caffeine Hair Loss Hair Growth Thickening Treatment Formula Serum isn’t just one valid option to have in mind and its popularity does speak volumes, for sure.
The serum is almost instantly thickening your hair and it’s a leave in option that you shouldn’t skip on. Due to its ingredients, the serum boosts the hair follicles, leading to healthier growth of the hair. It gives body to a thinning hair and a nice fullness, no matter if you’re a woman or a man.
The hydrolyzed keratin within the formula is going to rejuvenate your hair’s natural protective layer, minimizing risk for breakage and improving its elasticity. It lowers the damage of harsh chemicals and coats the hair shaft, thickening the hair.
The formula also includes biotin, which is well-known for its ability to strengthen the hair follicle. Biotin also helps the hair strong longer and fuller. As for caffeine, we need to highlight it’s a strong ingredient that extend and boosts the life cycle of hair follicles, improving the health of your hair.
When it comes to use, you shouldn’t have any problems. A little goes a long way and the serum is lightweight, absorbing pretty fast. It doesn’t weigh down your hair and has a pleasant smell. It makes your hair softer, lustrous and thicker and it’s worth every single penny.
Let’s go over our pros briefly:
- It’s a leave-in hair growth treatment
- It’s formulated on caffeine, biotin and hydrolyzed keratin
- It helps your hair grow stronger, healthier and thicker
- It softens your hair and gives it a healthy glow
We’re not going to back down over some minor issues:
- It does include alcohol
- It’s not the cheapest hair serum out there
Like it or lump it, the serum is going to help your hair grow healthier, stronger and fuller and it’s not the cheapest either, but you do want to spend the extra buck for better looking hair, right?
Best Hair Shine Serum
2. Even if you’re going shopping on a tight budget, you can still come back home with a great hair serum. Apart from its very attractive price though, the Herstyler Hair Repair Serum | Argan Oil Hair Serum, Vitamin E Hair Serum is packed with loads of good things which may also explain its popularity out there.
The hair serum turns the damaged and dry hair into a luxuriously radiant one. It eliminates frizz and gives a healthy glow to both straight and curly hair.
Thanks to the Aloe Vera and argan oil within the formula, the serum is going to make your hair tresses glowing, softer and easier to style. The enzymes in aloe Vera are going to condition and lock in the nutrients and moisture. The formula is strong enough to work even on the color-treated hair, yet gentle enough not to cause damage.
The hair serum is going to put your frizzy hair under control, without weighing it down. It eliminates the appearance of split ends and restores a healthy radiance to your hair.
Non-greasy and lightweight, the serum is easy to use and a little goes a long way. Keep that in mind when using it as too much of the serum isn’t going to look good at all. You may use it daily. Many find its smell pleasant and lingering on hair.
The hair serum hydrated a coarse hair and moisturizes it, without leaving an oily residue. You can use it on both dry or oily hair, men and women alike.
Here are our favs about it:
- It’s made with Aloe Vera and argan oil
- It moisturizes and hydrates the hair
- It gives a healthy shine and restores its health
- It doesn’t weigh down the hair and works for oily and dry hair too
The minor issues aren’t deal breakers for us, but it’s important to have the full picture:
- Some may not get results
- Not everyone goes for its smell
Giving your hair a healthy glow, while hydrating and moisturizing it, the hair serum is something to include in your daily hair care routine, especially considering its great price.
Best Hair Serum for Dry Hair
3. Dry hair is always in need for hydration and one of the things you can do to improve its appearance and health is to use a hair serum that is especially formulated for that. The Kerastase Nutritive Oleo-Relax Serum is one of the best choices out there for the dry hair as its nutri-huile complex offers great nourishment for your dry hair.
The hair serum is going to smooth and moisturize the dry hair, leaving softer and easier to manage. Its formulated with shoea seed butter and essential palm oils that hydrate and soften the hair. It gives your dry hair strands the nourishments they need, helping your hair look lustrous in a good way.
Thanks to its formula, the hair serum works also for the curly African-American hair. It combines very well with all sorts of shampoo and conditioners so you don’t need to stress out about changing the entire hair line for your hair.
The hair serum puts your hair under control and eliminates frizz and split ends. It softens the hair, easing the styling. It’s easy to use and a little goes a long way. 1 or 2 pumps are going to be enough to apply on your towel-dried hair. The consistency is just right so the serum absorbs fast, without leaving any residue behind. It smells amazing but its smell doesn’t linger more than you’d want.
In case you’re always having troubles with your hair on a humid day, the hair serum is going to come to the rescue. It ensures great anti-frizz protection too.
Here are our favs about it:
- It’s made with nutria-huille complex
- It nourishes and smooths out the hair
- It moisturizes and offers anti-frizz protection.
- It smells amazing
We’re not going to change our mind over some minor issues:
- It’s not the cheapest serum out there
- It doesn’t offer heat protection
At the expense of sounding know-it-all, unless you don’t want to walk around with dry and split ends on your hair, you shouldn’t sit on the fence and give the hair serum a try next time you’re shopping.
Best Serum for Frizzy Hair
4. Frizz isn’t the worst thing that can happen to your hair, but why ruin your looks when you’re only one step away from a solution? A good choice for you to take a look at is Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum for Silky Smooth Hair.
Strong enough to eliminate frizz no matter how worse the weather gets, the hair serum doesn’t give results only for a couple of minutes, but it makes sure your hair looks frizz-free for quite some time.
The lightweight silicone formula is going to smooth and soften your hair, turning into any hair stylist dream: easier to manage. Additionally, the hair serum gives your hair a healthy glow and conditions the hair.
The hair serum penetrates the hair shaft and seals in moisture. It’s an award-winning serum that improves the overall appearance of your hair as it also eliminates damaged ends.
A little goes a long way and the serum puts the frizz under control. It’s strong enough to give results on thick and long hair, but gentle enough not to weigh down a fine and long hair.
You may use the hair serum on both dry and wet hair. If you’re using it on wet hair, you’re going to be able to dry your hair faster.
The smell is pleasant and doesn’t stay for too long on hair. It has a good price, considering its value and it’s easy to use.
Going briefly over our favs:
- The serum eliminates frizz from hair
- It softens the hair, making it easier to style
- It gives your hair a nice shine
- It’s easy to use on both dry and wet hair
Don’t make a fuss out of the minor issues:
- One may feel it a bit sticky
- Using too much of it on fine and long hair may lead to greasy feel on hair
Having said that, for all the benefits for your hair and for eliminating for good frizz from your looks, the hair serum sure deserves a chance when you’re in need.
Best Serum for Hair Straightening
Truth be told, hair strengthening does look great but you need to think about paying the toll: damaging your hair. However, the market gives us plenty of options of protecting the hair so that the straightening doesn’t ruin it for good.
5. The Design Essentials Professional Grade Silk Essentials Heat Protectant Strengthening Serum is a great option to have in mind as it’s going to efficiently protect your hair from heat damage. It’s a lightweight heat protectant and strengthening option that protects against permanent curl elongation that is caused by the thermal straightening. The serum is also able to lock moisture into your hair, sealing the cuticle and leaving your hair radiant and healthy.
The formula includes 17 amino acids that are going to strengthen your damaged hair, while softening and smoothing your hair. The serum eliminates static and makes your hair easier to style, giving you a better chance for the classy gloss finish on the hair style.
You only need 1-4 dime size drops of the serum, according to the length of your hair. The serum goes into the cuticle and activates as you’re straightening your hair. It has a great smell that it’s going to linger for quite some time (this may be a downer for some).
Even if the serum is so effective, it’s still gentle enough to be used on all hair types and textures. It’s lightweight and doesn’t leave a greasy residue. It doesn’t weigh down your hair and works for oily, dry, normal and even color-treated hair.
The serum comes for an affordable price and gives results most of the time.
We’ve shorted the pros to the following:
- The serum is made with 17 amino acids
- It strengthens and protects the hair from heat damage
- It eliminates static and makes hair easier to style
- It softens the hair and gives it a healthy shine
Don’t let the minor issues trouble you much:
- Not everyone goes for its lingering smell
- It doesn’t lead to impressive results in all cases
Even though the serum isn’t all roses and rainbows, it still manages to stand as a dependable option when straightening your hair.
Best Hair Smoothing Serum
Smoother and softer hair is something that we also want for our hair and we don’t want to use the flat iron every single day for that silky and straight look.
6. The John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength 6 Effects+ Serum is one option to have in mind whenever in need, especially since it has so many benefits for your stubborn hair. The serum is going to protect the hair from heat styling, while keeping humidity away from your hair. It smooths efficiently your strands and hydrates the hair, putting flyways under control.
The powerful combination of seaweed extract, silk proteins and frizz-fighters turns the serum into a reliable product that makes any hair smooth and silky, no matter how stubborn or unruly your hair may be.
The strong serum is quite the winning ticket for the thick, wiry and coarse hair, but it’s going to lead to great results even if you’re struggling with flyways or chronic frizz.
In order to get best results, you should apply the serum on wet hair. It’s better to only focus on the ends if you’re applying it on dry hair, as you’re mostly going for the hydrating effect. Either way, a little goes a long way and the serum is going to serve you good for quite some time.
Even if it’s so effective, the formula is safe to use also on the color or chemically treated hair. It has no smell and doesn’t leave any residue behind. It doesn’t weigh down your hair and gives a healthy radiance to your hair.
As for the price, your wallet is in safe place as the serum comes for a great price.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It has many benefits for the hair
- It smooths and softens the hair, eliminating frizz
- It works also on color/chemically treated hair
- It doesn’t weigh down the hair and has no smell
Don’t let the minor issues change your mind:
- Some of the old customers feel that the new formula is different from the previous one, and not in a good way
- Don’t expect the recipient to be big
No matter how picky you are, it’s better to get your ducks in a row and see the full picture. The serum is dependable, effective and quite a bang for your buck, so why not try it?
Best Hair Serum for Damaged Hair
Styling, environmental stressors and harsh chemicals are the main reason behind the damaging of your hair. Sure, not drinking enough water, smoking or poor diet aren’t doing any good either, but you can help your hair get back in its shape with a good hair serum.
7. Reliable and great for the tight budget too, the Nexxus Humectress Encapsulate Serum is going to help your hair look and feel better, eliminating the damaged feel.
Formulated on protein complex and caviar, the serum is going to moisturize your hair for 24 hours straight. It eliminates frizz from your hair and takes care of each hair strand.
If you’re taking a closer look at the serum, you’re going to notice that the salon-grade serum includes conditioning oil inside caviar-shaped beads. These tiny pearls are going to create a protective barrier for your hair, which translates in better and healthier hair strands.
The formula is water-based and the serum is a reliable option for damaged and dry hair. It contains natural proteins and nutrients, sustaining the efforts of your hair to get back in its pre-damaged state.
You’re only going to need 2-5 pumps of the serum for medium length on your hair and 4-8 pumps if you have longer hair. Lightweight and easily absorbed, the hair serum doesn’t weigh down the hair. It smells nice and improves the elasticity of your hair too. It doesn’t leave an oily residue and reduces the risk for future damage as well.
Here’s what we like a lot about the serum:
- The hair serum contains oil in caviar-shaped beads
- It restores the damaged hair
- It eliminates frizz from hair
- It doesn’t leave a greasy residue and smells nice
Don’t let the inherent issues get you down:
- The pump could use some improvement
- It doesn’t lead to permanent results
Beggars can’t be choosers so as long as you’re focusing on the goods (which are plenty), you’re safe using the hair serum for restoring your damaged strands.
Best Hair Serum for Fine Hair
A nice body and a thicker appearance is something you want for your fine hair, but luckily for you a good hair serum is going to give you that even faster than expected.
8. Eufora Thickening Serum – for fine, thin or thinning hair is one of those types of serums and it’s formulated especially for women with fine, thin or thinning hair. The serum is able to boost a healthy hair growth, helping your hair look fuller and thicker.
The formula is effective, but lightweight so it only adds volume and body to your hair, and not unnecessary weight.
The zero weight styling serum makes your hair fuller and thicker as you’re blowing it dry into your hair. It helps you style and control your hair better, giving your hair a nice volume. The serum gives leave-in treatment benefits, only to increase the elasticity and strength of your hair.
The formula includes tapioca starch which thickens your hair in a natural way, without causing a sticky or tacky feel. The neem seed oil ensures antibacterial and antiseptic benefits, reducing irritation and dryness on scalp. The formula also includes vitamin C and E, coenzyme Q10 and strong antioxidants that reduce the damage of free radicals and environment. The serum contains citrus and peppermint oil which give the citrusy and fresh smell of the serum. However, these ingredients are also improving the oxygen and energy level to the scalp, sustaining a healthier hair growth.
The list of ingredients isn’t over yet and includes also licorice root extract that reduces inflammation and risk for itching or flaking of scalp. Vitamins B3, B5, B6 and B7 are on that list, encouraging a healthy hair growth.
The serum is easy to use and you only need a bit of it to work it through your wet hair. Create a nice lather and massage it through your scalp. The serum has a pleasant smell and gives results pretty fast.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- The serum is made with strong ingredients
- It promotes a healthy hair growth
- It gives body and volume to your hair
- It has a pleasant smell and it’s easy to use
Don’t let the minor issues be a deal breaker:
- It may not give impressive results in all cases
- Some don’t go for the “fluffy feel”
Affordable and dependable for giving your hair body and volume, the hair serum is the one thing missing from your fine hair daily routine.
Best Serum for Curly Hair
9. Curly hair is quite the blessing in disguise as you almost never need to style it on one hand, but it may drive you up the wall when trying to put it under control. The Obliphica Professional Seaberry Medium to Coarse Serum is going to give you a hand when trying to put the stubborn curls under control.
The serum is quite the miracle worker for the curly hair and leaves the hair softer and smoother. It nourishes and puts the rebellious strands under control, eliminating frizz and flyways. It’s a great serum for smoothing even the most unmanageable curly or wavy hair. This doesn’t mean it’s not going to work only on curly hair though. The serum’s formula gives results on straight hair too, without weighing down the hair.
Additionally, the hair serum is a safe choice for the color treated hair, leaving it soft and shiny in a healthy way.
A little goes a long way and you only need to rub a small amount in your hands for each use. Make sure you spread the serum evenly throughout your hair, no matter if it’s wet or dry. You can also massage it into your scalp.
Even if the smell of the serum is amazing, it’s not overpowering and it doesn’t linger for a long time on your hair strands.
The serum is lightweight and doesn’t leave a greasy nor an oily residue on hair. It softens the hair and lets you style it just the way you planned.
Here are the pros:
- The hair serum puts curly/wavy and straight hair under control
- It hydrates and protects the scalp
- Is makes your hair softer and suppler, easier to style
- It smells amazing and a little goes a long way
The price may be the major deal breaker for some, but the serum doesn’t have major downsides apart from that:
- It may not give impressive results for everyone
- Not everyone goes for its smell
Suffice it to say, the serum is not cheap, but it’s not a high dollar product either. Having said that, it’s far more important to highlight that it’s going to put your curls under control, leaving it smoother, softer and better looking. What’s not to like about that?
Best Ingrown Hair Serum
10. The Ingrown Hair Serum by European Wax Centers is a good option when you’re trying to get rid of ingrown hair and bumps.
It’s a non-alcohol serum that doesn’t lead to redness or irritation. The list of ingredients includes coffee, glycolic acid, tea tree leaf oil, and sorbic acid and each of the ingredients plays its role in serum’s efficiency.
Glycolic acid is going to lessen the visibility of scars and bumps, while whitening any skin discoloration. Even if it’s a strong ingredient, it’s gentle enough to work on sensitive skin too. It boosts the collagen production in skin and gives your skin a healthy glow. Sorbic acid comforts an irritated skin, whereas coffee gently exfoliates the skin. Tea tree oil is also calming the skin in razor burns and we all know about the anti-inflammatory abilities of green tea. Of course, these are just few of the benefits of the ingredients within the formula.
The serum also contains acai extract, chamomile, and lavender oil and they all contribute to the serum’s ability to reduce inflammation and prevent the appearance of ingrown hairs.
If you’re determined to get fast and impressive results, you should use the serum daily, at least twice. It’s better if you’re using it after a shave or a wax.
The pump dispenser eases the use and you only need two pumps for each leg on a single application. The serum absorbs nice and easy and doesn’t leave a residue or a film behind. Its smell is subtle and the serum doesn’t sting.
As for the price, it may be the reason for sealing the deal in many situations.
Here are the best parts about it:
- It prevents the development of ingrown hair
- It comforts the skin in razor bumps
- It doesn’t cause irritation nor redness
- It’s easily absorbed and gives results
We’re not complaining much about the minor issues:
- It doesn’t come with instructions
- Skin reacts differently so it may not give results for everyone
As long as you’re focusing on the good parts, you shouldn’t hesitate whenever in need and get the serum, especially since you’re not spending much money for it either.