From all the diversity of hair brushes out there, it’s the boar bristles brushes that aren’t going to break your hair for sure. You only need to be positive that you’re getting a boar bristle brush and not something similar.
What is a boar bristle brush used for?
The BBB isn’t the perfect choice for detangling your hair, but it’s definitely for turning your hair into a cleaner, smoother and shinier one. It’s a great hair tool when your hair isn’t all knotty and many are only using this type of brush for their hair.
The main secret behind this special brush is that it distributes the sebum from your scalp evenly all over your hair strands. Sebum is the main cause of your hair looking all dirty, so when you’re distributing it evenly in the hair, the whole appearance of your hair and scalp is going to chance.
Boar bristle brushes are quite popular and you may get a good one for a little over $10. Make sure though that you actually get a brush with boar bristle as there are many manufacturers out there that make brushes with boars made of nylon.
How to choose a boar bristle brush?
As the market gives us so many options, it wouldn’t hurt to keep in mind some tips when buying:
- Double check the label of your brush. Go for the ones that come with “100% boar bristle” or “pure boar bristle”.
- Give the bristles a very good look to see if they all look the same. If some are thicker than others, chances are the thicker ones are made of nylon.
- It’s great if you can touch the bristles and feel them a bit. The pure boar bristles feel softer than the nylon ones.
- Once you got yourself a boar bristle brush, there’s the ultimate test that you can try to see if it’s genuine or not. Take some of the bristles out and burn them. The boar bristle is going to burn just like the human hair and have a strong smell of burned hair. the nylon bristles are simply going to melt.
Now that you’re the proud owner of a boar bristle brush, there’s only one thing left to do: start brushing! Begin at the scalp and go down the lengths of your hair. Always use the brush on dry hair as it may damage the wet hair.
Top 10 Boar Bristle Brush Reviews
1. Made to be used on all hair types, the Spornette DeVille Cushion Oval Boar Bristle Brush is a valid choice for kids, women and men alike. It’s a good brush for ethnic, natural and treated hair, coarse or African hair. It may even work for the weaves and wigs.
The brush is oval so it’s great for blowouts and styling, helping you to smooth, set and finish your hair styles.
The paddle brush is well-made and has a durability feel to it. Its cushion reduces the risk for breakage and protects your hair when brushing. It’s a vented brush with an air hole that lets the air circulate under the rubber. Not only it dries out completely between uses, but it also reduces the risk for bacterial growth. The brush is easy to clean and keeps your hair and scalp healthy.
Made with 100% boar bristles that disperse evenly your hair’s natural oils, the brush leaves your hair healthier, shinier and easier to manage. It stops the greasy buildup and is gentle with your hair.
The wooden handle makes the use easy and the brush is lightweight. It has an elegant feel to it and looks so nice. On top of everything else, it comes for an attractive price too.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It comes with 100% boar bristles and a wooden handle
- It’s lightweight and durable
- It works for all hair types
- It’s vented and great for styling and blow outs
We’re not concerned about the inherent flaws:
- Some feel the bristles are too soft
- It may not be the best option for the human extensions
All in all, for a very good price, you get a durable, vented and lightweight boar bristle brush that is going to work for all hair types.
2. Comfortable and elegantly looking, the Moroccanoil Boar Bristle Classic Brush is a definite “yes” when you’re on the hunt for a boar bristle brush.
The brush uses high quality boar bristles that take care of your hair and scalp. It sustains the nourishment as it gently massages your scalp and stimulating the circulation in scalp.
The more you’re using the brush, the softer and healthier your hair is going to get. Your hair gets a healthy shine and it’s going to be easier for you to handle it for styling.
The brush is very well made and it presents a seamless build that eases the use. The ash wood handle ensures a steady and comfortable grip, but also has a beautiful appearance. It’s lightweight and heat resistant, helping the brush to pass the durability test.
Easy to clean and leaving such a nice feel in your hand, the brush is a nice addition to your hair care regimen and its soft bristles are great for the well-being of your hair and scalp.
Let’s go over the best parts once again:
- The brush is made with high quality boar bristles
- It has a seamless construction that is both long lasting and elegant
- The ash wood handle is comfortable to use and looks nice
- The brush leaves your hair silky smooth and gives it a healthy shine
The inherent flaws are not deal breakers for us:
- Some may find it a bit more expensive than anticipated
- One may experience some pulling when using it
Regardless of the minor problems, the brush is still a good buy as it’s loaded with qualities and its minor flaws aren’t deal breakers.
3. When you’re willing to pay the high dollar for your hair, put your money at stake with the Mason Pearson Sensitive Boar Bristle Hairbrush.
The boar bristle hair brush is a valid option for the sensitive scalp and the fine hair as it’s made with only premium-grade boar bristles. This has nothing to do with its build and durability though as the brush is going to brush your hair nice and easy every single time. The hair brush distributes evenly the sebum on your hair strands, sustaining the circulation to your hair follicles.
The brush features the famous and patented pneumatic cushion of the Mason Pearson hairbrushes that improve the whole experience of brushing.
Able to massage nice and gentle your scalp, the brush gives a healthy shine to your hair, leaving it silky smooth and soft to touch.
The design is all about the comfort and the elegance. The handle has a sculptural design, whereas the grip remains sturdy and comfortable, for a long time.
The brush comes with its very own nylon cleaning brush and it’s easy to take care of.
Made in England, the hair brush is an investment to make for you, and perhaps even your grand children.
Let’s take a closer look at the good parts:
- It massages the scalp
- It’s soft and gentle with your hair and scalp
- It’s durable and elegant
- It’s comfortable to use
The cons are a bit obvious:
- It’s clearly a high dollar brush
- The grip could be better
As the goods outweighs the bads, you should take the plunge and splurge your hair and scalp with this Mason Pearson boar bristle brush.
Best boar bristle round brush
4. If you’re looking for a boar bristle brush for your medium to long hair, look no farther and take a leap of faith with the Spornette Italian 3-inch Round Boar Bristle Brush.
The brush is such a solid choice for the thick, fine or thin hair, straight and curly alike. The boar bristles are gentle and the brush is easy to use. It efficiently distributes evenly your hair’s natural oils from the scalp on all the way down of your hair strands. It reduces the risk for oily buildup on your scalp, leaving a healthy shine on your hair.
The brush comes with a smooth and elegantly looking wooden handle that leaves a nice feel to your hands when brushing. The grip is sturdy and the brushing is strain-free. The handle has this ergonomic design and it’s lightweight, hence the easy use. You may use the brush for a long time, without getting tired.
The bristles are 3in diameter so they’re great for smoothing the eliminating frizz from your hair. the brush gives your hair a nice bounce and improves the appearance of the waves.
The brush doesn’t pull and minimizes shedding. Its price is attractive and the value is great for the money you’re paying.
Let’s go briefly over the pros:
- The brush is made with boar bristles
- The wooden handle is lightweight and looks nice
- The brush eliminates frizz and gives a nice bounce to your waves
- It’s easy to use and has a great price
We’re definitely not changing our mind over some minor downsides:
- The handle’s design may be improved
- The round top doesn’t allow the brush to stand up in its own
Nevertheless, as it’s reliable, easy to use and affordable, the brush shouldn’t be missed out on when you’re looking for this type of brush.
Best boar bristle brush for fine hair
5. Just because your hair is fine, doesn’t mean you have to suffer and not overcome its flaws. Even if it’s a pocket size model, the Mason Pearson Pocket Bristle Hair Brush still stands as a great option for the fine hair any given day.
The brush has just the right size for travelling, but it can definitely become your no.1 choice when you’re at home.
The brush comes with a rubber-cushion pad that improves the whole experience of brushing. It massages gently your scalp and boosts the circulation. This also contributes to the growth and health of your hair and, on the long run, the brush helps your hair become and stay healthier and better looking.
The handle gives a good and comfortable grip and everything about the brush says high quality and durability. The brush is lightweight and has an everlasting feel to it. Its bristles are fine and have just the right thickness for your fine hair.
The brush is going to make your hair shinier and smoother, easing up the styling process. It’s made to take the use for a very long time and it’s going to change your fine hair for the better.
An overlook on the pros:
- It’s great for the fine hair
- It has a good size for travelling
- It’s gentle on the scalp and takes care of the fine hair too
- It’s long lasting and looks elegant
We’re not making a drama out of some minor flaws:
- If you like firm bristles, this ain’t the one for you
- It’s not a cheap brush
Even if the brush comes with one big pet peeve (the price, that is), hands down to Mason Pearson for creating yet another one brush that doesn’t disappoint.
For thick hair
6. Even if the GranNaturals Boar + Nylon Bristle Oval Hair Brush with a Wooden Handle is made with both boar and nylon bristles, the combination and proportion between the two is very good for the thick hair.
The brush is made with boar and nylon bristles. The boar bristles improve the even distribution of natural oils on your hair strands, whereas the nylon ones are going to help the brush get deep into your hair, no matter how thick it is. The brush comes with a nice wooden handle that ensures both comfortable and an elegant appearance too.
Due to the combination of bristles, the brush lubricates each hair strand and reduces the risk of frizz in your hair. It massages nicely your scalp and improves the blood flow on your scalp. The brush prevents oil from building up and eliminates the greasy appearance from your scalp. By contrary, it gives your hair a healthy radiance.
The brush comes with a nice density for the bristles and a good build. Its low price is going to seal the deal for many.
Here’s what we really appreciate about the brush:
- The brush is made with boar and nylon bristles
- It distributes evenly the natural oils on hair strands
- The nylon bristles go deep into the hair
- The density is good and the brush has a good price, considering its performance
Far from being perfect, the brush comes with few downsides:
- It’s not made with only boar bristles
- The nylon bristles may feel too sharp to some
As long as you’re focusing on the goods, which are so many in the case of this brush, you should definitely put your trust and faith in it next time when you’re looking for a brush for your thick hair.
For the beard
7. For all the bearded guys out there who’re always interested into looking better, a solid option for taking care of their beards is the Beard Brush by ZilberHaar Pure Boar Bristles.
A well-kept beard is quite sexy and you want to take good care of it for reducing both the itching or the ingrown hairs.
The brush is made with 100% boar bristles that present just the right stiffness for gliding nice and easy through the beard, no matter how thick it is. The boar bristles are high quality and the brush is going to distribute natural oils evenly, while cleaning and softening the beard.
The handle is made of wood so it has a soft touch feel, but also seems well-made and able to handle the long time use. The build of the brush is impressive and the bristles are inserted in pear wood, which is quite known for its fragile texture. The brush gets a luxurious feel and it shouldn’t miss from any bearded guy’s care kit.
Due to the quality of the bristles, the brush is going to exfoliate gently the skin and soften the beard. Even if it feels a bit harsh at first, you need to keep on using it until your face gets used to it. Brush your beard at least once a day as you’re going to help your beard grow nicer and more uniform.
Brushing also reduces the risk for ingrown hairs, so start doing it today.
Well-made and comfortable to use, the brush is affordable and easy to take care of.
Let’s list our favs about it:
- The brush softens the beard and exfoliates the skin
- It helps the beard grow more uniform and healthier
- It cleans the beard and reduces ingrown hairs
- It’s good quality and affordable
We’re far from changing our mind over some minor flaws:
- Some feel it could be bigger
- It has a subtle smell in the beginning, but it fades away in time
Having said that, the brush stands out as a reliable, affordable and good quality boar brush that helps your beard look better and healthier.
For long hair
8. Don’t let the good price of the 100% Natural Boar Bristle Hair Brush by Arabella Brushes fool you as the brush sure does a great job for the long hair.
Made with 100% natural boar bristles, the brush doesn’t scratch your scalp and the bristles are firm enough to go through your hair and soft enough to gently stimulate the circulation in your scalp. It helps the natural oils get evenly distributed from the scalp all the way up to the ends of your hair.
The brush stands out with its Schima wood handle that is both lightweight and long lasting. You may comfortably use the brush over and over again without getting tired.
Due to its design and quality, the brush is a solid option for women and men alike. It leaves the hair shiny and silky smooth, with minor risk for shedding or tangling.
The bristles aren’t going to fall down any time soon and the craftsmanship on the brush is amazing. The brush improves the texture of your hair and reduces frizz. It may even eliminate your need to wash your hair too often.
Here are our favs about the brush:
- It’s gentle for the long hair
- It eliminates frizz and stimulates the scalp
- It gives the hair a healthy shine
- It’s affordable and looks luxurious
We’re not going to back down over some minor flaws:
- One may feel it flattens the hair
- It has a subtle smell in the beginning
Affordable, yet luxuriously looking, the brush gives your long hair strands a healthy shine and improves the health and appearance of your hair, with only a few bucks. Why wouldn’t you get it?
For curly hair
Going shopping on a tight budget may put you in a pickle, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you should come back empty handed.
The brush catches your eyes right from beginning, but it’s not the nice looks that gets your attention, but the fact that it’s a 2-sided brush. The brush comes with 100% medium boar bristles on one side and firm bristles on the other side. The brush is gentle on a delicate scalp and its design recommends it for styling and defining the wave styles. It’s a great brush to use for the medium to coarse hair too.
The brush is made with advanced implantation technology that minimizes the risk for bristle loss. It distributes the natural oils evenly on your curls and gives them a healthy shine. It’s lightweight and the grip isn’t bad at all.
The handle has a good design and the grip is sturdy and comfortable. As for the price, the brush is a great bang for the buck.
We’ve shorted the pros to the following:
- The brush is a 2-sided model
- It comes with medium boar bristles and firm bristles on the other side
- It accentuates the curls gently
- It’s good value for the money
Far from being deal breakers, the minor problems should be also listed:
- It may not take the durability test
- Its looks could be improved
Beggars cannot be choosers, so keep that in mind when going with the brush. Able to give a nice shine and good definition to your curls, the brush still is money well spent at the end of the day.
For thinning hair
10. Especially designed for thin , fine and normal hair, the Boar Bristle Hair Brush Set for Women and Men isn’t just dependable, but also affordable.
The brush is made with natural pure boar bristles that gently brush the thinning, fine and normal hair. You can even use the brush for long hair, but you need to brush in sections for getting the best out of it.
The boar bristles of the brush are going to spread the natural oils of your hair strands evenly from the scalp to the very end of your hair tips. They give your hair a beautiful and healthy shine too.
The brush comes with a wood detangling comb which you may use before brushing your hair with the boar bristle brush. You should use the brush on completely dry hair.
Lightweight and with a durable build, both the brush and the comb look elegant and long lasting. The handles have an ergonomic design, ensuring long time use with minor strain for the hands.
Here’s what we like the most about the brush and the comb:
- They’re made with good quality materials
- The brush comes with densely packed bristles
- The brush is designed for fine, thin and normal hair
- They look elegant and are affordable
The downsides aren’t major nor many:
- Some think the bristles are too soft
- One may feel the brush doesn’t get all the way to the scalp
Regardless of the minor issues, both the brush and the comb make it valid choices for taking care of the thinning hair, without even breaking the bank.